Fort Worth History
Quanah Parker, a frequent visitor to Fort Worth, known as the last great Comanche Chief was a prolific and fierce warrior. He led his people into battle persevered but ultimately surrendered to life on a reservation.
The Comanches, known as the "Lords of the Plains", were regarded as perhaps the most dangerous Indians Tribes in the frontier era.
One of the most compelling stories of the Wild West is the abduction of Cynthia Ann Parker, Quanah's mother, who was kidnapped at age 9 by Comanches and assimilated into the tribe. At age 34, Cynthia Ann was stolen from the Comanches by Texas Rangers and returned unwillingly, to her former life.
Add these historic sites and attractions linked to Quanah Parker to your itinerary.
Amon Carter Museum of American Art
This free museum offers the most diverse and extensive collection of American art in Fort Worth and includes collections featuring the Plains Indians.
3501 Camp Bowie Blvd
Burke Burnett Building on Main - present-day Worthington Bank
Burke Burnett and Quanah Parker were very close friends. Burke was a rancher and leased land from some of the Indian reservations, Quanah's land in the Comanche Nation being among them. The Burke Burnett Building was built in 1914 and restored in 1980. 500 Main Street.
In 1909, Quanah Parker and 36 Comanche braves participated in the first-ever indoor rodeo, the Fort Worth Fat Stock Show at Cowtown Coliseum, now called the Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show.
121 East Exchange Avenue
Heritage Trail Markers
See the Marker detailing Cynthia Ann Parker's abduction from her family compound at Fort Parker during a Comanche raid.
Main & 8th Street
Historic Pickwick Hotel
In 1885, Quanah Parker and another Comanche Chief named Yellow Bear were sharing a room while visiting Fort Worth. A gas lamp in the Chief's room was not extinguished properly and resulted in death for Yellow Bear. The hotel is no longer standing but was near the location of the Chisholm Trail Mural.
115 W. 3rd Street
Log Cabin Village
See the Parker Cabin, where Cynthia Ann Parker and her daughter, Topsannah were brought to when they were forcibly taken from their Comanche tribe in 1860 by Texas Rangers. This cabin is the oldest structure in Tarrant County.
2100 Log Cabin Village Lane
National Multicultural Western Heritage Museum
Quanah Parker was in the first group of Hall of Fame inductees in 2003. He is one of only 63 current inductees.
3400 Mount Vernon Street
Quanah Parker Park
Located on the banks of the Trinity River on the East side of town, enjoy this nice shaded green space that is home to many different animal habitats.
5401 Randol Mill Road
Quanah Parker Statue
Quanah was a frequent visitor to the Fort Worth Stockyards. A memorial was built in his honor, located beside the Fort Worth Visitor Center on Exchange
Sid Richardson Museum and the Amon Carter Museum of American Art This free museum has important collections featuring the Plains Indians.
One of the finest small museums in Texas, the Stockyards Museum located in the historic Livestock Exchange building in the Fort Worth Stockyards has a number of Comanche artifacts on display in the Quanah Parker Exhibit.
131 E Exchange Avenue # 113
Texas Trail of Fame
Located in the Historic Stockyards, the Texas Trail of Fame holds stars to honor the contributions individuals made to our Western ways of life. Quanah, Cynthia Ann and Peta Nocona, Cynthia Ann's husband are all honored.