As summer gives way to fall, we turn our attention to . . . sports. There’s a lot happening on local fields, courts, tracks and more during the autumn months. Here we offer a quick-reference guide to spectator-friendly sporting events around which you can plan a trip to Cowtown.
Texas Motor Speedway
The big event for racing fans comes when TMS brings NASCAR’s top two series to town for the eighth race in the Monster Energy Cup Series Playoffs. But there’s more than that going on at the track this fall.
Texas Motor Speedway Fall Schedule
- Goodguys 27th Summit Racing Lone Star Nationals: September 27-29
- AAA Texas 500 Race Weekend: October 31-November 3
- Practice for Monster Energy Cup Series & XFINITY Series: November 1
- Tony Stewart Presents The Vankor Texas Sprint Car Nationals: October 31 & November 1
- O'Reilly Auto Parts 300 XFINITY Series race + Monster Energy Cup Series Qualifying: November 2
- AAA Texas 500 Monster Energy Cup Series race: November 3
Seamaster U.S. Open Table Tennis
The Fort Worth Convention Center will host more than 800 table domestic and international table tennis competitors December 17-21. The Seamaster US Open Table Tennis tournament is USA Table Tennis’s marquee event. You’ll see some of the world’s top players, many of whom will compete in the 2020 Olympic Games.
Folkstyle Tour of America - Stockyard Stampede
USA Wrestling’s Folkstyle tour come to the Fort Worth Convention Center December 20-22. The event feature six world class events for youth wrestlers, from the 8U category up to middle school. Folkstyle wrestling is the style practiced by collegiate competitors.
Marquee home matchups for the Horned Frogs season include in-state rivals Texas and Baylor. Home games happen at Amon G. Carter Stadium on campus.
TCU Football Home Schedule:
- SMU - September 21
- Kansas - September 28
- Texas - October 26
- Baylor - November 9
- West Virginia - November 29
The Big XII plays a home-and-home schedule in volleyball, so all you alums of other regional institutions can come show your support. All we ask is that you declare TCU your second-favorite team. October matchups in the the University Recreation Center against preseason Top-25 teams Texas and Baylor stand out.
TCU Volleyball Home Schedule
- Kansas State - September 28
- Texas - October 2
- Baylor - October 12
- West Virginia - October 24
- Iowa State - October 30
- Kansas - November 9
- Texas Tech - November 23
- Oklahoma - November 27
The TCU Equestrian team will compete this year for the first time at Diamond Creek Ranch in Burleson. The TCU women have consistently been a presence in the National Collegiate Equestrian Association national championships the last few seasons.
TCU Equestrian Fall Home Schedule (their schedule overlaps into the new year – see the TCU website for full details):
- Texas Tech – September 20
- South Dakota State – September 26
- SMU – October 10
- Oklahoma State – November 8
Will Rogers Memorial Center
Equestrian roots run deep in Fort Worth so it's no surprise that one of the nation's top facilities is located in the renowned Cultural District. Many world shows and national championships house their competitions at Will Rogers year after year -- and are often free to the public to watch. Here are few coming through this fall.
- APHA World Championship Show - September 16-29
- NTASHA UPHA Fall Classic Horse Show - October 3-6
- NRCHA Snaffle Bit Futurity - October 4-19
- USTPA World Championship Show - November 5-10
- Miniature Hereford Cowtown Classic - November 16-17
- NCHA World Championship Futurity - November 21 - December 15
Dallas Cowboys Football
We left them for last, because we weren’t sure if you had heard of them before, but the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys play just a few miles east of Fort Worth in Arlington’s AT&T Stadium. We thought we should mention them because, well, you can’t really think of fall sports without football. And also because if you come in town for a Cowboys game, Fort Worth is a great place to book your hotel! We also have some excellent sports bars if you don’t have tickets but still want to catch the game in a fun atmosphere.
Dallas Cowboys Home Schedule
- Miami Dolphins - September 22
- Green Bay Packers - October 6
- Philadelphia Eagles - October 20
- Minnesota Vikings - November 10
- Buffalo Bills - November 28
- Los Angeles Rams – December 15
- Washington Redskins - December 29