“150 Years of Fort Worth” traces Fort Worth's development, from its beginning as a frontier outpost, through its rowdy youth as a cattle town, to present day. Created by the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, in cooperation with City Center Development Co., the exhibit is housed in the historic Fire Station No. 1, which was built in 1907. It is located in the City Center complex at the northeast corner of Second and Commerce streets. Fort Worth Tours offer several options to see historical sites.
The exhibit was originally opened in 1984 as part of the Texas Sesquicentennial Celebration and was updated in 1991 and again in 2001. Some of its features include:
• An interactive bunkhouse model featuring a video about Charlie Bell, a well-known Texas Cowboy who spent a lifetime working cattle;
• A scale model of the original Fort Worth, established in 1849;
• A display case containing the uniform and writing desk of Maj. Gen. William Jenkins Worth, Fort Worth's namesake. (Worth, a national hero, died of cholera in San Antonio in 1849, before he could visit or learn about the new fort his men had named for him.);
• A display on the prehistoric Clovis people;
• A bucking bronco that provides a photo opportunity for Guests.
Fire Station No. 1, the building that houses the exhibit, is also a valuable piece of Fort Worth history. It was the site of the original city hall, which held the mayor's office and other city offices on its second floor. Volunteer firefighters with a hook-and-ladder wagon and Bill, their cougar mascot, occupied the first floor. The present structure replaced the original building in 1907; for more than a century, Fire Station No. 1 was in continuous use as a fire station. For more Western Heritage History visit www.FortWorth.com.
"150 Years of Fort Worth History" is open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. Admission is free.
See 150 Years of Fort Worth In An Afternoon
Posted On October 26, 2010