Jammie Holmes: Make the Revolution Irresistible
- Presented By: Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth
- Dates: August 13, 2023 - November 16, 2023
- Recurrence: Recurring daily
- Location: Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth
- Address: 3200 Darnell Street, Fort Worth, TX 76107
- Phone: (817) 738-9215
- Time: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Price: $16: General (age 18 and above) $12: Seniors (age 60+), Active/Retired Military Personnel* & First Responders with ID $10: Students with ID Free: Under 18 years old The Museum offers half-price tickets on Sundays and free admission on Fridays.
Jammie Holmes: Make the Revolution Irresistible is Jammie Holmes’s (b. 1984) first solo exhibition in a museum. The artist is known for his figurative and expressive paintings depicting everyday themes that honor communities in the United States. Like artists Gordon Parks and Faith Ringgold, Holmes reacts to the social turmoil of his generation, creating works imbued with courage and determination. The social and economic struggles of his hometown, Thibodaux, Louisiana, inspire the artist to explore history and community in imagery that ranges from Black soldiers in Vietnam to home life to individuals mourning the passing of loved ones. Mixing loose figuration with symbolism and combining images, words, and letters, his paintings are infused with layers of meaning. With a profound sensibility, these paintings show the courage and spirit of the Black people.
Make the Revolution Irresistible exemplifies the Modern’s commitment to highlight living artists making significant contributions to the modern and contemporary art discourse. This exhibition presents a selection of large-scale paintings including new works created for the exhibition. Collectively, these works contextualize Holmes’s oeuvre as a force within contemporary art practices. Holmes’s narratives reflecting on Black life in the Deep South resonate with universal questions regarding the human experience.