Rahr & Sons Brewing
- Brew buzz: Founded in 2004 by Fritz and Erin Rahr, the brewery has roots to the 1800s, when Fritz's great-great-grandfather immigrated to Wisconsin and started the first lager brewery in the U.S. Fritz likes to say he was born with beer in his blood. Rahr & Sons was first to open in DFW and remains among the most popular with at least 1,000 visitors each week and production of more than 20,000 barrels annually.
- Brewmaster: Head brewer Nate Swan loves fishing almost as much as brewing beer. His beer-making philosophy? Crediting Rahr's "brilliant lab staff that keeps us brewers from screwing up, but brewers will happily take the credit if the beer turns out good."
- Beer sipping: About 22 beers -many of them perennial award-winners including Oktoberfest our Gold 2018 Great American Beer Festival winner. - add to that number several super-limited, small batches that the brewers produce for weekly tastings and special parties. Year-round, enjoy Dadgum IPA, Adios Pantalones, Blonde Helles Lager, Ugly Pug Schwarzbier, Texas Red American Amber, Popular seasonals include Iron Thistle ScotchAle, Summertime Wheat German WheatAle, Oktoberfest Marzen Lager, Winter Warmer English Dark Ale, Iron Joe CoffeeAle, Brown PumpkinAle, AnniversaryAle (changes yearly), Mr. Wiggles Double IPA, Angry Santa Spiced Winter Ale, and our Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer..
- Brewery visits: A family-friendly atmosphere on tour-and-tasting days is enhanced by pizza, taco, grilled cheese, burger and BBQ trucks and live music. That's 5-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, and 1-3 p.m. Saturday. Your $15 ticket includes a commemorative glass to take home, 3 pints of beer and a chance to meet the crew. Parking is limited, so taxi and Uber rides are recommended.
- Details: 701 Galveston Ave., Fort Worth, TX 76104; 817-810-9266